Hi guys! Here is one more fun back to school DIY. Today I will show you how to give your basic pens a cool new look for the back to school season. These Lava pens are very easy to make and you only need a few items. If you want to know how to make your own Lava Pen keep on reading as I show you how I choose to make it.
- A pack of pen
- Clear tubing
- Baby oil
- Food coloring
- A cutting utensil
- Glue gun/glue sticks
1. Start by cutting your tubing tour desired length. Then take your pen apart. I recommend that the pens you decide to use have the metal part as you see bellow, it makes it easier to glue the pen to the tube.
2. Add a bit of glue to the open part of your pen to avoid the water from going in.
3. Apply some glue around the metal part of the pen.
4. Add the metal piece and add some more glue.
5. Add the tubing.
6. Add a some glue to the outside of the tube where it meet the metal and smooth it out.
7. Add a small amount of water test for any leak. If you have a leak repeat step 6. If everything is ok fill the tube a third of the way up with water.
8. Add one drop of food coloring
9. Add some glitter (optional). Add your baby oil. Filling up two third of the tube.
10. Add some glue to close up your pen. Place the glue gun inside the tube to add about half of an inch of glue in a circular motion.
11. Cut two pieces of ribbon long enough to cover the glue marks. Use some glue to attach them in place.
And Voila! Your Lava Pen is ready for use.
I love my new Lava Pens. I choose to use ribbons that are the same color as the color of the water. You can use matching ribbons or any color ribbons that you have around. I hope you have enjoyed the tutorial. If you decide to give it a try and have any questions leave them in the comment section bellow and I will get back to you as soon as I can.